Our journey throughout our first year of marriage and our second deployment.

Friday, June 10, 2011

MilSpouse Friday Fill-In/ Thursday "Date" Night

1. When you vacation, what type of vacation do you like to take (beach, historic, adventurous, food oriented, etc.)?


I like to go somewhere calm and relaxing, but where I can still connect with the outside world.  I want to see something historic and marvel at the architecture and the culture of the place I'm vacationing.  I like to change it up and go various places.. I have way too many "OMG I Wanna go THERE"s!  I want to be able to go and see everything, but on my and Hubby's time and schedule.  I like to sleep in and just go our own pace based on how we feel that day, whether it's seeing 3 museums and walking halfway across the city or staying in bed watching movies and just enjoying the company of one another.  So, I like beach vacations, historic, adventurous, multi-cultural... all of the above!




2. What is your best memory associated with a song (you know we all have tons!)?

I have SO many best memories when it comes to music!!  Partly because I surround myself with it, but my top three that I can pinpoint right now would be Cinderella by Steven Curtis Chapman, Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd and Only Time by Enya.

Cinderella- My Daddy and I danced to this song during our Father/Daughter dance at our wedding.  We didn't practice dancing until the night before, partly because he just was having a hard time dealing with the fact that his little girl was growing up.. but our dance was perfect!  I will NEVER forget his face as we danced together and he tried desperately to hold everything together and not cry. It probably mirrored my face.  But it was absolutely perfect and I loved every second of dancing with him!

Freebird- My senior year in HS, our marching show was a compilation of Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd and Firebird Suite by Igor Stravinsky.  In my opinion, it was absolutely GENIUS!!  The final movement was the most epic part of all and every time I hear the song, I think about that show,.. the year we had and how we grew as musicians and as a band to overcome our weaknesses and make it into the night show of BOA Grand National Finals!  One of the best nights of my life!

Only Time- I'm not necessarily a die hard fan of her work, but my best friend Matt arranged this particular piece to be played as my other best friend, Leslie, walked down the aisle of her wedding.  No one except the quartet (which included my incredible Little) heard the piece until it was go-time!  All I can say is breathtaking!  It was just breathtaking!  The music combined with the scenery and everything of that day and that led us to that point was expressed in the arrangement of the piece.. and I balled like a baby as I watched my best friend walk down the aisle to become a Mrs.!!




3. If you had 6 months with no obligations or financial constraints, what would you do with your time?

OH BOY what we would do!! I'm sure the Hubby and I would spend a few days shopping for our dream houses and dream cars/bikes ;) and I'd spend some time decorating them to perfection!!  And then we would travel!! I'd LOVE to take my family to Italy so we could meet members of our family we've never been able to meet, and to see where my Grandpa Tony came from.. man, it would be incredible to take him with us!  He may be over 90 years old, but he is strong and healthy still!!  (So blessed to have 2 of my great-grandparents and all 4 of my grandparents still with us) But a tour of Italy.. seeing Venice, Rome, Sicily, Verona, Milan, Florence!!! OMG!! And add all the historic places, buildings, museums, fountains to the incredible FOOD!  We'd need at least a month in Italy!  Maybe more!

We would also want to visit Hawaii, go on an Alaskan cruise, spend some time in Washington D.C, visit all of Europe, see Korea and where the Hubby was born, the Southern point of South Africa, Mayan ruins in Mexico, some time on the beaches in Cancun... is this too much for 6 months?! Haha!




4. What is one thing about you that people do NOT typically notice at first that you wish they would?

That I am an incredibly sensitive person!  I wear my heart and my emotions on my sleeve.  I always have, I always will, and I don't think it's wrong, nor do I think it is a trait that needs to be changed permanently.  We all have to learn and adapt ourselves to those around us.. it's all part of life, meeting people where they are and accepting them for who they are and what they've gone through in their life.  I think me being sensitive to things makes up a large part of who I am and how I handle things, but it also gives me other traits that are useful and helpful in my teaching and in my friendships and relationships.




5. It's a summer of sequels, and if you had to live in one of each of the following "worlds" (there are three total) which would you choose and why?

- Xmen: Be a mutant, what would your power be? I would be able to teleport anywhere in the present time and carry all the people and luggage I could possibly need!  Deployments would be MUCH easier! ;)
- Harry Potter: Be a Witch or Muggle? I think a Muggle.. It could be advantageous to be part regular human and part witch..
- Twilight: Be a Vampire or Werewolf? My FAVORITE world to be in!!  I would want to be a vampire, but still have my friends who are werewolves!

So, David and I went to visit our families yesterday!  We have the weekend pretty much planned out, and decided last night would be our date night!  We haven't had one since he's been home.. imagine that?!  It was nice to go out, but not the most incredible date night either of us has ever been on.  We got all dressed up and the Sweetheart color coordinated to match me :) and we headed to Olive Garden!  Dinner was good, the service wasn't the best.. but that was alright. After dinner, we went to Best Buy for a little bit, and then headed over to visit with our parents for a little bit.  Pretty non-eventful.  Just circumstances that occurred yesterday that neither of us was expecting and that kind of threw us both for a loop... but, in the end, he made it all great!  It's just us!  Just David and I!  No one else matters.. it's not about them, let them do what they want to do, because at the end of the day, it's just me and you! :) I have an incredible Hubby!!  I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!  I'm off to spend the last few days with my Boy before he heads out again!  Family Game Night tonight!  I'm so excited that we will all be under the same roof!!  I cannot wait!!!

2 comments:

  1. What song doesn't have a memory! I have sooo many!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm honored to be one of your memorable songs. :'-)

    Also, muggle means absolutely no magical power. The derogatory term "Mudblood" means a witch born to muggle parents, squib means non magical born to witch and wizard. There is no mix, haha. :-p

    And thank you for blogging about the wedding, it always lights up my day to see myself in your blog. <3

    ReplyDelete

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, Plans to bring you hope and a future." -Jeremiah 29:11