Our journey throughout our first year of marriage and our second deployment.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Silent Salute




I was recently blessed to receive the Silent Salute Award from Momma Can and was charged with passing this award on to another. I can't express my gratitude for being selected for this award and it puts a different purpose into why I blog and share the intimate details of my life. I started this blog as a way to get my thoughts out so that I could better sort through them. Sometimes it's such a jumble in my head! But to know that what I've shared has touched others means the world to me.


Just some background for those that don't know or are new readers.. My wonderful Husband and I met when we were in HS through choir! We fell in love while singing next to one another and immediately went into a spiraling relationship that is common when in the military. We dated through basic and AIT and had our ups and downs as we were together and then just friends... over and over! We dated through the distance and multiple drills and ATs. We continued with the off and on, but got back on for good a month before David was to deploy to Iraq. We were engaged two months later and then he was gone for a year, making it back home 2 months before we were to get married. I moved and transferred schools to make the adjustment easier and we spent the first 9 months of our marriage together... the longest we had been together through the entire six years we had been on and off. Less than a year after returning home, David left again for trainings and a one year deployment to Afghanistan, which we are about to complete. It's been a challenge to spend almost our entire relationship apart, but I know God wouldn't challenge us with the distance if we were not able to overcome the challenge and utilize it as a testimony to Him!


On to the duties of the award!


1. My family and David's are filled with members that have served in branches of the U.S. Military! David and his brother, Ben, have both served in Iraq and Afghanistan in the past 3 years and our brother-in-law, Caleb (Esther's husband), served with them in Iraq. Ben is a Captain in the U.S. Army and has served for over 9 years. David is coming up on his 7th year of serving in the National Guard and Caleb has served for 5 years. My sister's future husband, Jared, is a MP and is in his 2nd year of service. We also have multiple other members on both sides of our families including, but not limited to, David's Grandad, David's Papa, and my Papa Jim. We are beyond proud of the legacy that we have in both of our family lines and look forward to the continuation of it.


2. Along with husbands and sons who serve, the wives and mothers of the men listed above have dedicated countless time away from their spouses and children; missing family functions and the growing of their own children. These wives and mothers have valiently served at home and have supported their soldiers, along with other soldiers, by sending care packages, being involved in the FRG and volunteering with Blue Star Moms and other organizations. My sister-in-law, Aimee, is currently serving as the head of the FRG for Ben's unit and was recently awarded the Fort Drum Hero of the Month in May! :) Along with serving their soldiers, they have also been a huge support system and have helped to nurture me into the Army Life and assisted as I adapt into this lifestyle!


3. I haven't done this as much as I would like to, but I hope to be more charitable in this. I thank soldiers for their service when I see them and I seek out new military wives and girlfriends, especially still being a new military wife and knowing how little support is given to the girlfriends/fiances of soldiers. Like I said, I'm not as good at this as I would like to be, and am excited for future opportunities to thank and support our military soldiers and their families.


I am passing this award on to a military wife that I feel is a hero to her soldier and to her family as she diligently holds down the fort at home, supports her soldier and assists in giving knowledge so that others may learn to do the same. This award goes to This Fabulous Army Wife! Congratulations! :)


The Rules for this Award:


1. You must pass this award on to ONE person


and


2. You must tell the world of three ways you and your members silently salute our troops!


Have a Happy Memorial Weekend!!!









members that serve







sisters who serve and support/ care packages







thank fellow soldiers/support their families and wives

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Thank you so much, Sarah! This was such a nice surprise for me today and I truly appreciate your comments and this lovely award. HUGS to you!

    ReplyDelete

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, Plans to bring you hope and a future." -Jeremiah 29:11