Our journey throughout our first year of marriage and our second deployment.

Monday, December 20, 2010

Making Changes

People learn a lot as they go into new stages of their life. It varies with every individual, depending on what situation they are currently involved in, the scenarios they have been faced with in the past, etc. The personality of the individual plays a role in the changes we all adapt to as we grow up. No one ever said life was easy. I knew coming into this 2nd deployment that it would be difficult, but I think I've surprised others and myself with the strength and independence I have been blessed with to help get through this difficult time. I've also been blessed with a wonderful and amazing husband! I am so thankful for him and the sacrifice he is making for us and for this wonderful country!

The Hubby has been through a lot the past few months! He has worked day after day to do his best at his job and then to improve himself physically, mentally, and most important, spiritually. It took a little while to accept this change and understand why it was happening, although it has been a WONDERFUL change! He is much more positive and encouraging and he has a very different outlook on life and a new approach to situations. But, I recognize that even that in marriage, when one changes, the other adapts and vice versa. He told me that he wants to be a better husband and best friend, and if he can do better than the amazing job he is already doing, I want to push myself to be better for him AND for me! We both deserve that!

I think music is a lot like life. As a musician, there are always ways that you can improve a piece or techniques; a different method you can use to learn something and master that aspect of the instrument in a new way. Everything can always be improved upon. You are constantly growing and changing and with that growth comes a new understanding and a new outlook on what you can continue to grow on. I think that's how people are too. We can constantly grow and improve ourselves! I will be the first to admit that my life is not where I know it should be. I don't do my daily Bible studies, I don't regularly attend church, I get involved with things I shouldn't be involved in, I'm lazy and therefore procrastinate when I know I could just set my mind to something and fulfill the task to my best efforts if I didn't wait until the last possible minute. I don't take care of myself or respect myself and my body in the way that I should either.

I'm saying all of this because I want to improve. And I know self-improvement is great, but eventually, you need others to help you and inspire you as you continue on in your journey for a better "you". When I fall, I want people to keep me accountable and to help me stand up and keep on truckin'. And I would hope to be able to do the same for others. So, I here now set these goals that I have for my life. No more excuses, there's no reason why I can't do what needs to be done! If my Hubby can do it overseas, then I can certainly do it here!

  • I want to have a daily Bible study, even if it's reading a Psalm or Proverbs a day and meditating on that, it is time with the Creator of this Universe and there is no better way for me to devote my time.
  • I want to attend a church weekly. I need to have the courage to go alone or with others and make church a priority for myself and for my family.
  • I want to have a daily work out, if even just a walk around the pond with the dogs, some form of exercise will be done daily.
  • I want to take better care of my body by being more selective of the foods I choose to put in it. I will watch what I eat and minimize the amount of meals I eat out. I will take the time to fix healthy meals, even after long and tiring days.
  • I want to practice my instrument daily. It is my gift and the thing I love most and feel is most important. I will strive to improve my personal musicianship and not hold myself in comparison to those around me, but push myself individually to be the best musician I can be.
  • I will do all my readings and homework assignments once assigned and push for an A in every class I enroll in from now on. I am a smart individual and should have enough pride to push myself to do the best on every paper, homework assignment and reading. I may have to work harder than others, but it is worth the hard work and effort when I have a diploma and am able to teach the most wonderful subject to students someday!
  • I will work diligently in maintaining our finances so that Hubby and I may have the life the we dream of when he returns! It is because of his hard work that we are able to do anything and I want to contribute to that in any way that I can.
  • I will be a better person, Christian, wife, daughter, sister, fur-mommy, friend, student, colleague and citizen and apply myself fully to all aspects of life and to those around me.
I will also work to blog daily my victories and struggles. I ask that all of you that are able keep me accountable to these standards I wish to hold myself to and accept the changes that I want and need to make in my life! Starting now. :) Have a wonderful week everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah:) So a friend of mine follows your blog and I checked it out and I think it's absolutely awesome how you are so in touch with your faith:) Annnnnd I noticed you're a music major like me:) except I play tenor sax along with who knows how many other things lol

    anyway just thought i'd say hi:)

    ReplyDelete

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, Plans to bring you hope and a future." -Jeremiah 29:11