Our journey throughout our first year of marriage and our second deployment.

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Keep Moving Forward!

David was able to come home this weekend and we had a great time just relaxing at home and enjoying the little things in everyday life! :) Taco and Belle were so excited to see him and last night I made a Lemon Chicken Tarragon with rice and veggies along with some cookies for dessert and he had 3-4 helpings! I've never had him eat that much in one sitting, so that was a good thing! He went back to AR this morning for his HazMat class and I went to Lexington (Oklahoma, not Kentucky) for the FRG meeting! It's amazing how things can change drastically in such a short time. A month ago as I was driving to our first meeting, it had just hit me what was getting ready to happen and the fact of the deployment had started to sink in. I can't even describe the array of emotions that ran through me. Everything from anger to fear to just not wanting to be in this situation again. A lot has happened in the past month to prepare both of us for what's about to take place and all of it, as well as situations not directly correlated to the deployment, has helped us to accept what is going to happen.

I think it's so easy when given a difficult situation to doubt and have concern about what's going to happen. We don't know why things happen or why people have to go through certain situations or why outcomes are they way they are. But, we are all faced with challenges in our own lives. For me, my challenge is directly associated with who I am! I am an Army wife! My husband is an American Soldier and I am BEYOND proud for the things he does and the sacrifices he makes. We did not ask or volunteer to be going through what we are. But, the fact is that we are going through this and no amount of sadness or anger or frustration will change that! This is the life that I live and I chose to do so when I said "Yes!" to the man that I love. So, I can choose to make this experience a positive one and to benefit and learn from it, or I can be upset and sad about being away from my best friend for about a year and a half. Of course, I'm not happy about him being gone, but it is my job and duty to ensure that my soldier is encouraged and prepared to take on his mission, do so safely, and return home! I know it's not the best of situations, but it's what we have and I want to make the most of every day I have, both with my soldier and without him! I came home tonight and after multiple encouraging calls from family and friends, I watched Meet the Robertson's! I may choose to be happy about things, but it doesn't mean I'm not emotional! If you know anything about me, you know that emotion is my middle name... (figuratively speaking) so as this movie came to an end, of course I was crying! But the movie ended with this wonderful quote that I wanted to share!

“Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things… and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”
–Walt Disney

Have a wonderful week everyone!

1 comment:

  1. You are such a strong women Sarah! God is going to carry you both through this time.
    I can't wait to try your Lemon Chicken!!! It sounds sooo good!! :)

    ReplyDelete

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, Plans to bring you hope and a future." -Jeremiah 29:11