Our journey throughout our first year of marriage and our second deployment.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day So Far

Happy Valentine's Day! It is the most controversial holiday today, divided amongst people who do and do not have significant others to share it with, or are unable to be with their significant other.. OR they just don't like Valentine's day and they hype that comes with it. "I love Hype!" as Taylor Swift says in her new movie Valentine's Day! I've heard good things about it and can't wait for it to come out so we can watch it!



Anyway, on this day, my first ever valentine's day in 5 years to spend with my hubby, I decided to do little things on our tight budget. I spent over half an hour looking for the perfect card that told him just how much he meant to me, and then a little box of chocolates. I came into the office with them exactly at midnight and said "Happy Valentine's Day!!!" He smiled and opened the card, and then said he didn't get me anything yet. I laughed, but as selfish as it may be, I was deeply hurt. Now don't hate on me just yet. Let's back track to my birthday in October. We had been married two months and there was a lot going on with school, so I didn't really think about or get excited about my birthday until the day of. My husband did not say happy birthday at all, nor did he plan anything, make a card, nothing. I spent most of the day crying. When he finally realized that it upset me, he said we could have a redo and that he'd make it up to me. So we went out to eat and then back home and his friends came over and they sat around and played video games. One of them actually asked over a week in advance if he could make me a cake and made a lovely three layer funfetti cake with whipped cream and strawberry filling!! It was amazing!! Then, for Christmas, i got my husband and Special edition Mortal Combat 2 XBox 360 with the NCAA football 2010 game and a LOT of clothes for the winter along with stocking stuffers. He got me jewelry from Belk and then right before we were about to open our presents together, he races to Wal Mart and bought me some pink slippers and a huge bag of Guiradelli (sp?) chocolate. We still have some left over. I loved it and was appreciative of it, but I just felt like it was all so last minute and there wasn't any thought put into it which is SOO not like my husband.
He used to surprise me with little things, like a blanket to keep me warm, a chapstick holder so I could always have my chapstick on hand, a water bottle.. but it hasn't been the same since we've been married. Our roles in giving have switched where I know anything and everything he needs or could want (I didn't have a clue before) and he has no idea. I know most of it is because of his last tour and that his brain is on constant overflow, I just am not sure how to help that. So, after a rather large fight last night/this morning, we set some new rules. We're not using facebook, myspace, or twitter for at least a month, we have a bedtime :) and will be trying to go to bed at around 10 or 11 and waking up at 7, and we're switching to the envelope system. He's also going to start writing things down so he won't feel so overwhelmed and scatterbrained. But that's just so far. We still have our real Valentine's Day celebration. He gets off work at 6 and I'm not sure what we're going to do, but regardless I am going to be happy about being able to spend this wonderful day celebrating with my husband!! I hope you all have a wonderful day as well!

ArmyWife22

No comments:

Post a Comment

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, Plans to bring you hope and a future." -Jeremiah 29:11