Our journey throughout our first year of marriage and our second deployment.

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Getting The Call

We have known for a couple of months that deploying is a possibility, but with both of us being in school, it gets a little tricky. In November, my husband called from drill telling me that they had just learned their unit may be going overseas within the next year. I was scared and nervous, I had just gotten used to married life and loved having him home. I was nowhere near ready to going back to the lifestyle that comes with having your fiance/husband deployed. By this, of course, I mean the constant worrying, sending emails and waiting for weeks to get any sort of communication back added to the loneliness of being separated from your other half and best friend. When he came home the next night, we talked about all the options. Since he's in school, he is technically not required to go. He could sign with ROTC, finish school, and then go active, or he could go, enroll in Officer's Candidate School when he got back, and finish school after that. There were various other options, but those were the main two. I love my husband and I know that he is one to follow through with his commitments. Nothing at all against ROTC, but if he decided to join, in his eyes it would be a way of getting out of a deployment. This time, it is his unit he would be deploying with, his brothers, his friends, and he would be in more of a teaching position, rather than a learning position. Most of the soldiers in his unit haven't even gone through basic and AIT yet and will most likely receive their orders at the end of this summer. Regardless to say, no matter how I felt, I knew deep down that my husband would be going on this tour, not because he had to, but because he is a soldier and is loyal to the United States Army and his promise to serve this country. He said that we would have a while to discuss whether he would go or not. He told me that I was the first thing he thought of when he heard the news, and that were we not together, he would go. But, then he said life isn't just about him anymore, that he had me to think of and to take care of and didn't want to leave me to go through another deployment, another year apart. Tearfully, I told him we didn't need months to decide this, but that he needed to go. He is a solider, and I am a Soldier's Wife! I have known this through our entire relationship and knew this is how our life would someday be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, Plans to bring you hope and a future." -Jeremiah 29:11